Wednesday 6 July 2011

Greg Morgan: We Hardly Knew Ye


I know things haven't been as fast moving in this blog as I would have liked, but I have been busy trying to immerse myself in as much Boreham Wood and Blue Square articles and news as possible. One wouldn't want to be ill informed before the season starts. So, no apology needed really. I'm trying to write the best blog I can, dammit.

My knowledge of the current Boreham Wood squad is mainly made up by my pitiful attempts at managing them on Football Manager 2011 (much like most peoples knowledge of foreign players linked with any club. I'm sure we all know at least one of our friends who is like this). The only player I knew outside of that was a player I actually came up against.

In my first job after leaving University, I worked at a fairly large recruitment company (No, I was not a recruitment consultant, just a head office number monkey) whose name I won't say for fear of them appearing on the side of my blog in the adverts, thus causing me to pull out my teeth in anger. After about 8 months in this role, and weekly 8 a side games on a Monday night, it was decided that after much bragging and taunts, an 11 a side match would be arranged between our floor and the floor directly beneath us.

There was only one small flaw in this plan - our floor were accounts and business services. These people do not make for the most athletic of footballers. The floor below were processing (and if I have made a mistake I apologise to any of you reading this, I have tried to black out my time at A***** through numerous binge drinking, Hypnotherapy and Fight Club sessions), and were on average about 8 years younger, 98% fitter and played football on a far more regular basis. Still, the spirit of the underdog dwelled deep within our team, and we planned what would be a unlikely, yet triumphant victory.

A few days before the big match, word had gotten around that the floor below had gotten in a ringer. He was a temp in the office, which may have been against the rules, and also - he played for Boreham Wood. This was completely scandalous, as he was a semi professional footballer and we were on average at least 3 stone overweight. Of course, it was down to me to mark him. The next 90 minutes were torturous, as he ran constantly at me, knocking it past me, even nutmegging me on one occasion (in frustration I tried to kick him, but of course by the time I had swung my leg he was bearing down on goal). We kept the score respectable, but we were still soundly beaten. I had one brief moment of satisfaction as I won the ball from him with a somewhat lunging tackle. They scored from the resulting corner.

A few years have passed now but I always kept an eye out to see if he was still in and about the team. Sadly, the first thing I learned after immersing myself back into the Boreham Wood footballing world that he had failed to agree on a new deal and had joined Chelmsford (my oldest brother's local team). So, with that in mind - good luck Greg Morgan. I hope you don't torment the Boreham Wood full backs as badly as you tormented me.


No comments:

Post a Comment